Dr. Layani started his formal training in laparoscopic surgery in France (1990). Since being admitted to the Royal Australian College of Surgeons in 1998, he has been honored by numerous national and international institutions for his role as an educator and facilitator for new developments in bariatric surgery. He is currently a major contributor to research being done in the US regarding new surgical treatments for obesity.
A number of highly respected surgeons around Australia and the world have completed varying components of their formal training under his guidance and many have gone on to establish themselves in private practice. He was the head surgeon for Weight Loss Solutions Australia (WLSA) at John Flynn Private Hospital in Queensland, Australia and has been in private practice for over 12 years.
- From 2018 to date - Director of Bariatric Program at Al Sharq Hospital, and Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
- 2015 – January 2018 Head of Bariatric and advanced laparoscopic surgery at Fujairah Hospital - consultant surgeon for the MOH UAE
- 2014 Consultant bariatric at weight and metabolic solution Australia in Brisbane Large center for obesity surgery. Spend 5 months in Paris working on omega loop gastric bypass at the Clinique Geoffroysthilaire Paris with Dr Cady and Dr Chiche
- 2013 Consultant bariatric surgeon at SCOD surgical center for obesity and diabetes, New Delhi with Dr Arush Sabharwal for 6 months and return to Australia to work in Brisbane at weight and metabolic solution Australia Brisbane center for obesity surgery
- 2000- 2012 Consultant surgeon on the Gold Coast working at john Flynn private hospital and for the north health service - tweed hospital public service
- 1995-1998-1999 3 years’ post graduate fellow in GI SURGERY at MONASH MEDICAL CENTER MELBOURNE –and as the fellow my third years I was in charge of developing laparoscopic surgery for the department.
- 1998-one year fellow at the ROYAL BRISBANE HOSPITAL IN BRISBANE AND THE WESLEY private hospital with my Mentor Dr G Fielding – Dr Nathanson - Dr o`rouke
- 1999 return to Melbourne in private practice
- 2000 Offer to start position on the gold coast to be in charge of bariatric and minimal invasive surgery
SURGICAL TRAINING PROGRAM in PARIS –also qualified for the first diploma of laparoscopic surgery organized in France (Paris) in 1992
• 5 years has a registrar in GI SURGERY – THORACIC- VASCULAR – GYNECOLOGY
• 2 YEARS IN 1990-91 ARMY IN A FRENCH COLONY ILE DE LA REUNION - REUNION ISLE IN FRONT OF MAURITIUS AS A REGISTRAR in Gynecology and General Surgery - the volume of work was immense for a young surgeon